CODE OF CONDUCT
(ECML PKDD code of conduct is directly inspired with the one of Neurips https://nips.cc/public/CodeOfConduct)
We the participants, employees, and other individuals involved with ECML PKDD, come together for the open exchange of ideas, the freedom of thought and expression, and for respectful scientific debate which is central to the goals of this Conference. This requires a community and an environment that recognizes and respects the inherent worth of every person.
All participants, organizers, reviewers, speakers, media, sponsors, and volunteers (referred to as “Participants” collectively throughout this document) at our Conference, workshops, and Conference-sponsored social events are required to agree with this Code of Conduct both during an event and on official communication channels, including social media.
Sponsors are equally subject to this Code of Conduct. In particular, sponsors should not use images, activities, or other materials that are of a sexual, racial, or otherwise offensive nature. This code applies both to official sponsors as well as any organization that uses the Conference name as branding as part of its activities at or around the Conference.
Organizers will enforce this Code, and it is expected that all Participants will cooperate to help ensure a safe and inclusive environment for everyone.
The conference commits itself to providing an experience for all Participants that is free from the following:
- Harassment, bullying, and discrimination which includes but is not limited to:
- Offensive comments related to age, race, religion, creed, color, gender (including transgender/gender identity/gender expression), sexual orientation, medical condition, physical or intellectual disability, pregnancy, or medical conditions, national origin or ancestry.
- intimidation, personal attacks, harassment, unnecessary disruption of talks or other conference events.
- Inappropriate or unprofessional behavior that interferes with another’s full participation including:
- sexual harassment, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome attention, public vulgar exchanges, derogatory name-calling, and diminutive characterizations.
- Use of images, activities, or other materials that are of a sexual, racial, or otherwise offensive nature that may create an inappropriate or toxic environment.
- Disorderly, boisterous, or disruptive conduct including fighting, coercion, theft, damage to property, or any mistreatment or non-businesslike behavior towards participants.
- Zoom bombing or any virtual activity that is not related to the topic of discussion which detracts from the topic or the purpose of the program. This includes inappropriate remarks in chat areas as deemed inappropriate by presenters/monitors/event leaders.
- Individuals and organizations that make false claims or accusations related to ECMLPKDD’ business or inappropriately make comments online as if they represent ECMLPKDD without advanced approval.
- Scientific misconduct including fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism of paper submissions or research presentations, including demos, exhibits or posters.
This Code of Conduct applies to the actual meeting sites and conference venues where ECMLPKDD business is being conducted, including physical, virtual venues, and official virtual engagement platforms, including video, virtual streaming, and chat-based interactions. ECMLPKDD is not responsible for non-sponsored activity or behavior that may occur at non-sponsored locations such as hotels, restaurants, physical, virtual, or other locations not otherwise deemed a sanctioned space for ECMLPKDD sponsored events. Nonetheless, any issues brought to the Hotline Relations Counselors will be considered. However, it is also the case that ECMLPKDD cannot actively monitor voluntary social media platforms and cannot follow-up on every transaction occurring between individuals who voluntarily engage in argument and altercation outside the ECMLPKDD sponsored events virtual or otherwise.
If a Participant engages in any inappropriate behavior as defined herein, the Conference organizers may take action as deemed appropriate, including: a formal or informal warning to the offender, expulsion from the conference with no refund, barring from participation in future conferences or their organization, reporting the incident to the offender’s local institution or funding agencies, or reporting the incident to local authorities or law enforcement. A response of “just joking” is not acceptable. If action is taken, an appeals process will be made available. View the Code of Conduct Procedures document for further details regarding the reporting of complaints or incidents. There will be no retaliation against any Participant who brings a complaint or submits an incident report in good faith or who honestly assists in investigating such a complaint. All issues brought forth to the onsite Hotline Relations Counselors during the course of a Conference will be immediately investigated.
The Conference encourages all Participants to immediately report any incidents of discrimination, harassment, unprofessional conduct, and/or retaliation so that complaints can be quickly and fairly resolved. All complaints will be handled as confidentially as possible and information will be disclosed only as it is necessary to complete the investigation and bring to resolution. There will be no retaliation against any Participant who brings a complaint or submits an incident report in good faith or who honestly assists in investigating such a complaint. All issues brought forth to the onsite Hotline Relations Counselors during the course of a Conference will be immediately investigated.
If you have concerns related to your participation/interaction at the Conference or Conference sanctioned events, or observe someone else’s difficulties, or have any other concerns you wish to share, please contact the ECML PKDD Hotline Email at ECMLPKDDhotline@gmail.com. Participants may look for signage or check in with the Registration Desk to locate their station. Reports made during the Conference will be responded to within 24 hours; those at other times in less than two weeks. We are prepared and eager to help Participants contact relevant help services, to escort them to a safe location, or to otherwise assist those experiencing harassment of any sort to feel safe for the duration of the Conference. We gratefully accept feedback from the ECML PKDD community on policy and actions using the contact form above.